Larry Hayes, Jr.
LARRY HAYES, JR. Born : Nashville, Tennessee, December 24, 1965. Licenses : Admitted to Tennessee State and Federal Bar, 1992. Education : Vanderbilt University, Civil Engineering, 1985; St. John's College, Oxford University, Oxford, England, Parliamentary Government, 1987; Rhodes College, Business Administration, 1989; Vanderbilt University Law School, 1992; University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., cum laude , 1992. Honors : American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts - 1990; American Jurisprudence Award for Civil Trial Practice - 1991. Associations : Member, American Bar Association, Family Law Section; Member, Tennessee Bar Association, Family Law Section; Member, Nashville Bar Association, Family Law Section. Presentations : Guest Lecturer, Tennessee Trial Lawyer's Association, National Business Institute, Tennessee Bar Association, and American National Lawyers Insurance Reciprocal..
Larry Hayes concentrates his Family Law practice on divorce actions involving large estates or complex issues at the trial and appellate levels. Mr. Hayes practices primarily in the Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee area, which includes the surrounding counties of Williamson (Brentwood and Franklin); Sumner (cities of Gallatin and Hendersonville); Rutherford (Murfreesboro); Wilson (Lebanon); Robertson (Springfield) and Maury (Columbia).
Mr. Hayes has handled many difficult divorce actions including those which involved complex valuation issues, such as valuing printing companies, doctor's practices, lawyer's practices, automobile dealerships, insurance companies, construction companies, petroleum distributors, real estate partnerships, and interstate trucking companies. Mr. Hayes has handled numerous complex multi-state custody battles successfully for clients, including a custody battle which encompassed the law of four different states at the same time. Mr. Hayes has also handled unique cases such as an Alienation of Affections lawsuit which originated in Tennessee, but wound up being litigated in Federal Courts in North Carolina. Mr. Hayes has represented a wide range of divorce clients, from country music entertainers, their spouses and their children to the spouse of one of the Forbes 500 Wealthiest Americans, which at the time was reputed to be the largest pending divorce action in the United States. Mr. Hayes has represented professional athletes and the spouses of professional athletes. Mr. Hayes has also handled divorces which crossed international boundaries, including a recent one which evolved into an annulment proceeding, then back into a divorce action which was governed by not only Tennessee law, but also the laws of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Canada and Guadeloupe, and required the coordinated efforts of several lawyers in several countries.
Mr. Hayes is active in civil and community affairs and has been a guest lecturer on Law and Economics at various high schools throughout the middle Tennessee area.
Please reference the Appeals Section on the Website for detailed information.
Areas Of Practice
- Prenuptial Agreements/Divorce Planning
- Past Divorce Actions
Certified Legal Specialties
- Mediator, American Arbitration Association, 1994
- Tennessee, 1992
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1992
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts, 1990
- Honors: Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award for Civil Trial Practice, 1991
- Vanderbilt University Law School, Nashville, Tennessee
- Rhodes College, Memphis
- B.A. - 1989
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: College Football All-American-Guard, 1988-1989
- Honors: College Football Team, Captain & Most Valuable Player, 1988-1989
- Honors: Rhodes College Football Hall of Fame 2015 and 2018
- Major: Business Administration
- St. John's College, Oxford University, Oxford
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Parliamentary Government
- Vanderbilt University
- Civil Engineering - 1985
- Guest Lecturer, Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association
- Family Law, Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association, 1996 to 1999
- Guest Lecturer, National Business Institute
- Guest Lecturer, Tennessee Bar Association
- Guest Lecturer, American National Lawyers Insurance Reciprocal
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tennessee Supreme Court, Board of Professional Responsibility, Member, Disciplinary Hearing Committee
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member, 1992
- Tennessee Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member, 1992
- Nashville Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member, 1992
Past Employment Positions
- Boult, Cummings, Conners & Berry, Associate, 00/1992 to 00/1999
- Circuit Courts for Metropolitan Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, Special Judge
Pro Bono Activities
- American Heart Association, 00/1989
- Sigma Nu